Prevent account information from getting leaked
SIM Swap is a kind of scam where a fraudster manages to issue a new SIM card against your mobile number through your mobile service provider. This way, he/she can get access to your identity and One Time Password (OTP) alerts required to make money transfers.
Please note: eSewa never tells you to do a SIM Swap by sending an SMS. Beware of any fraudulent calls as it may lead to financial fraud or misuse of your contact number.
How does SIM Swap work?
Step 1: The fraudster contacts the victim pretending to be his/her network provider and asks for sensitive information.
Step 2: He/she then approaches the mobile operator and gets the original SIM blocked with a fake reason like loss or theft. After this, they visit the mobile operator’s retail outlet with fake ID proof, posing as the genuine owner and gets a new SIM issued in the owner’s name. This happens within hours and the real owner often fails to notice his/her SIM card has stopped working.
Step 3: The Fraudster generates the One Time Password (OTP) required in financial transactions using the owner’s Identity. Since this OTP is received on the new SIM held by the fraudster, the money can be transferred into his/her account.
How to protect yourself from SIM SWAP fraud:
1. Do not share personal information such as Customer ID, MPIN among others with unauthorized personnel over e-mail, call or SMS.
2. If your mobile number has stopped working for longer than usual, immediately contact your mobile operator to enquire about the reason.
3. Regularly check your eSewa & Bank Account statements and transaction history for any suspicious behavior.
4. Register your e-mail ID for instant alerts and stay informed about all activities in your eSewa ID & bank account.
5. We constantly strive to ensure you’re safe from any kind of online fraud. In case you feel something’s wrong, reach out to us [email protected] or call us on our toll free no. 1660-01-02121 or viber us at +9771234512345 immediately.