eSewa never asks for your Password/OTP over calls, SMS or emails.
Phishing is a type of fraud that involves stealing personal information such as Customer ID, MPIN, eSewa ID among others.
Please note: eSewa never calls you to do a SIM Swap by sending an SMS.
Beware of any fraudulent calls as it may lead to financial fraud or misuse of your contact number.
Fraud can use several means to appear to be a genuine source, say eSewa. They can even use technology to mask their real phone numbers so you see the legitimate eSewa Customer Care number 1660-01-02121 as the caller ID.
Here are a couple of baits fraudsters often use to cheat unsuspecting consumers:
- “Hi Sir/Ma’am, you have won an exclusive offer reserved for our top customers only. Please share your SMS Detail Send By eSewa so we can transfer the gift money to your eSewa Account.”
- “Hi, I’m calling from eSewa. We have launched a KYC drive across Nepal. Doing KYC would mean you can accept up to NRs 1 lakh in your eSewa Wallet. However, I would need some proof of identification and your details.”
- “Hi, I’m calling from eSewa. We are happy to let you know that you have won an additional Rs. 5000 cashback on your latest purchase. Please share your Identity so we can credit the money directly into your eSewa Account.”
- “Congratulations! You have been nominated as a ‘Top eSewa Merchant’ in your locality and are now eligible for a Special Booster Pack. This will further upgrade the limits of your eSewa Wallet. Please share some proof of identification to avail this great offer.”
Whenever you receive such suspicious calls, messages or emails, please Follow the following Step to these precautionary measures:
- Disconnect immediately and share the fraud number with us by calling our helpline number — 1660-01-02121 or viber us at +9771234512345.
- Call us immediately if you have mistakenly revealed your eSewa Wallet details to someone.
- Never share confidential details when you receive such unsolicited calls, SMS or emails.
- If you get a SMS/call asking for sensitive information, kindly do not provide these details.
- Don’t open or forward these suspicious links via email, SMS or chat.
At eSewa, we constantly strive to ensure your safety against online frauds. Write to us at [email protected] or call us back on 1660-01-02121 immediately after disconnecting any such incoming calls.